In episode 15 Frank and Alfred with special guest Steve Thomas share some great information about the new Microsoft Office click-2-run install, app-v install, traditional install and more.
Learn more about Office Click-to-Run
Microsoft Office Click-to-Run uses Microsoft streaming and virtualization technology to significantly reduce the time that is required for you to download and begin experiencing the new features of Microsoft Office 365 and 2013.
Why would I use Office Click-to-Run?
If you have decent Internet speed, you can be using a Microsoft Office program within minutes and have the whole program in less than a half hour. The Click-to-Run Application Manager shows you the download progress. If you want to start to use an Office program, Office Click-to-Run downloads what it must have to have you running with the small delay as that is part of the real-time downloads.
The following are some advantages to using Click-to-Run versions of Office products:
- Faster to download and install. Start using a product before it has finished installing
- Up-to-date from the start and kept up-to-date automatically
- No need to download and install updates manually
- Run different versions of Office products side-by-side on the same computer
You can also use common software management tools and practices to manage and maintain Office products that use Click-to-Run.
For example, you can do the following:
- Download Office product and language files to an on-premises location and then deploy those products and languages to users by using a software distribution product, such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
- Use Office-specific Group Policy settings to create and enforce standard configurations for users and computers. The Click-to-Run and MSI versions of Office products use the same set of Group Policy settings
- For more information about how to deploy Office from an on-premises location, see Determine the deployment method to use for Office 365 ProPlus.
Special Guest Steve Thomas
Steve Thomas is a Senior Consultant working for Microsoft Enterprise Services in the overall specialty areas of client solutions and deployment with a focus on desktop, application, and user state virtualization as well as application compatibility. Expertise in desktop virtualization spans both client-hosted and server-hosted infrastructures (VDI.) Has worked with both the SMB market as well as large enterprise networking environments. Considered to be one of the top world-wide technical SME’s in App-V, MED-V, Server App-V, UE-V, and Application Compatibility. Secondary Specialties include DaaS, Hyper-V, SCVMM, Azure, Hyper-V Replica and Recovery Manager.