High Impact Enterprise Mobility topics? Why do you care?
In episode 25 Frank and Alfred share businesses view for high impact solutions and how to frame those conversations when talking to your CxO team, your technical decision maker team and the IT Pro staff. Frank shares some of his experiences speaking with Microsoft customers describing their concerns, their wants and their needs.
What is Enterprise Mobility?
Enterprise mobility is often mistaken as a product you implement, or a piece of software you install. That is partially due to some vendors marketing their products in that way. However, based on conversations with customers who have been successful and had struggles implementing enterprise mobility we know that the solution depends on three basic elements. Apps, Security/Identity and Management of devices makeup the components to create a high impact enterprise mobility offering for your business. This is very different than simply enabling email, calendaring and IM on mobile devices. With that in mind have a look at the Mobile Maturity model image representing the view of Microsoft Services interactions with customers.
Business Decision Maker CxO Discussion
At the most basic level CxOs are looking to achieve one or more of three things:
- Reduce bottom line (costs)
- Increase top line (revenue)
- Increase value with their customers
This is a conversation that IT Pros rarely understand or know how to participate in and few technical decision makers think in these terms. However, with the shift of IT budget being held by business units, this is a very important thing to understand. BDMs do not care about the technology itself, only the outcome the business would benefit from. Here are some examples of conversations that BDMs would engage in:
- I want to increase retail sales by 20%
- I want to increase manufacturing productivity by 33% and reduce manufacturing costs by 15%
- I need to uncover additional revenue streams
- Our competitors are innovating rapidly and capturing some of our market share, how do I deliver rich customer experiences that will entice our customers to stay with us and also capture additional market share
Technical Decision Makers Discussion
Based on the CxO view point, TDMs everywhere are working to transform their IT departments and the way their businesses view them. The transformation to become viewed as a service provider has been noted by Gartner, Forrester, CIO Magazine and countless other popular IT publications. But why? In the past IT would just upgrade to the latest and greatest technology and then advertise new features to consumers of the tech. But this did not help the users see value in meaningful ways in their individual jobs. So, what that means is IT must work to provide a menu of capabilities to their business allowing the business to view IT as a trusted service provider. Not just a department pushing new technology for the sake of technology. Here are some examples of conversations that TDMs would engage in:
- How can I enable my mobile sales force to be more agile
- I need to provide real time information to me factory workers.
- How can I create a collaborative environment while keeping our digital assets safe
- We need secure and reliable integration points with our key vendors
IT Pro Discussion
This is a conversation we are very familiar with so I will not spend time on this topic. Some examples of typical IT Pro conversations are:
- I purchased licenses for Azure RMS, how can I deploy it
- We want to migrate to Windows 10, can you help
- We need to provide secure access to user documents without the use of VPN technology
The image below is a graphic representing the three high impact enterprise mobility conversations I wrote about above.